< Back to Journal

Recording Journal: Day 47

I arrived as Stephen was making dinner. Laura was watching an episode of Buffy the Vampire Slayer on TV, so I did that while waiting to record. Oh, and I talked to Stephen about a rough outline of what we should try this week.

We started with something we thought we could accomplish quick: the pre-chorus in Track 4. I wanted to put down some background vocals, but we needed to edit it first. Once that was done I raced into the recording booth. Improbably, it went even quicker than I anticipated. My tea was still too hot to drink when I got out. Since it was a small part, and I only did a few takes, we decided to edit that immediately.

Next up was the guitar solo in Track 6. I made some adjustments to the part since the last session that amounted to making it more difficult. After I wrote the new part though I practiced for like 20 mins, so I figured it would be no problem to record. We used Trey's strat that he let us borrow a long time ago now. I can't believe it's still available, to be honest, but I'm glad it was. The first few takes made me a little nervous I wouldn't be able to pull it off, but I was able to figure it out in the end.

After that, we decided to try some background vocals on Track 9. We'd worked on the midi a bit in previous sessions, but decided quickly that some notes were too high, and, therefore, needed to be changed. Once we got that it was still a bit of a grind. The notes we changed didn't feel super natural at first, and singing through the first part made me forget where the changed notes were. Eventually we decided it'd work best to record the changed part separately. It went really smooth once we went that route. We used the Unidyne mic by itself for this. It wound up working well.

There was only a bit of time left before we had to stop for the night, so we decided to check out the new bass track I sent over for Track 10. Both Stephen and I had been messing around with different stuff in sessions and in between. Stephen liked the new part I sent over, but I wasn't getting some of the rich sub notes he was with his attempt. I suggested we use his for the sub sound. The blend seemed to work really well after a bit of tweaking. We agreed that it's as done as it needs to be before we start mixing and mastering.

Overall it was a really productive day. The plan is to do the next two days as well.